DrKnowsBest, Family practitioner
Experience:  womens health and peds specialty, vast urology experience

epididymo orchitis - how long to heal?

Background: I was told I had gonnorrea at a STD clinic on a thursday evening 6 weeks ago. I was given 4 zithromax to be taken at once. I was tested for gonnorrrea and clamidiya but nothing else.

On the following saturday my testes (especially the left one) were swollen and overheated - so I went to the doctor. The doctor said it was nothing serious and that a an infection (epididymo orchitis - probably) had gotten into my testicles.

I was perscribed antibiotics (flucillin 500mg caps flucloxacillin) - 1 to be taken 4 times a day for 7 days.

On the tuesday the swelling had gone but my testicles were still really hot. I went back to the doctor (this time I met a different doctor) - she told me to stop taking the antibiotics and to go get an ultrasound if the condition was still present on thursday.

The problem seemed to go away for a few days but then came back.

Then I started a 10 day course of ciprofloxacin. I also had an ultrasound (the guy said it looked like it was healing).

I finished up on the ciprofloxacin 7 days ago and the swelling and inflammation went away on the same day. I continued however to have a slight niggling feeling that I put down to my testes recovering after the trauma.

There is no longer any signs of swelling but the last 2 nights that feeling of discomfort has increased slightly. It is mild but noticable. If this is part of the healing process then I am happy to leave it alone. It is a worrying place to have a problem however and I would appreciate some advice. Thanks

ps. I should add that today, so far, it feels ok
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 4 years ago.
If you had severe swelling the fluid in that small of a space can take up to 4 weeks to completely reabsorb. If the pain increases or certainly the swelling increases you need to repeat the ultrasound. Some tingling after an infection like this can also be due to the healing process and some scar tissue. A gentle massage when you have pain can help the body absorb the fluid and can prevent scarring.
This is a typical course not to worry.