Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Why does my urine smell like strong sulphur?

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

The strong smell is most likely due to a urinary tract infection. This could be due to incomplete bladder emptying from an enlarged prostate. You need to get in to see a urologist for an examination or you can go to your primary doctor. You may need to start you on a medication like Flomax if you are unable to empty your bladder completely. They will do an ultrasound to see if you have this problem. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.