DrKnowsBest, Family practitioner
Experience:  womens health and peds specialty, vast urology experience

my child has had urinary tract infections for over a year and

my child has had urinary tract infections for over a year and despite treatment by paediatric treatment is still having them, what could be causing them and what is the best treatment
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 4 years ago.
Has she had a vcug study. If she has reflux from the urethra to the bladder she is at more risk for infection and in some cases surgery must be done to correct this or permanent scarring to the bladder and urethra occur. Keep her well hydrated, wipe her yourself when possible from front to back to make sure she is dry. OTC there is tea tree oil. Split it half with water in a clean bottle nd wipe her once in the morning once in the vending before bed. This has been shown by research to help prevent both yeast and urine infection and is all natural.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she has proved positive with e coli and has had nuclear scans as well as ultra sound scans we are awaiting the results of the nuclear scans. she regularly doubles up in the middle of what ever she is doing and has to hold her tummy.
Yeah e coli is usually the source the ultrasounds will show any scarring but the nuclear is what is best. This will determine whether she has the reflux I discussed this is then graded and high grades require surgery to prevent long term damage. If low grade they usually grow out of it and sometimes are put on preventative low dose antibiotics daily. Either way try what I said as this has been shown to decrease incidence infections
Please press accept if no more questions