Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Occasionally I have a burning sensation when I urinate, sometimes

Occasionally I have a burning sensation when I urinate, sometimes more intense than others. There is no specific frequency to the issue, though the symptoms have been active recently. Most of the time, the symptoms surface at night, but occasionally during the day as well. It usually goes away on its own after a few days.

I thought this was a UTI, but I had two different urinalysis', one with no symptoms present and one while symptoms were active, and both came back clear, so my doctor told me her guess is that the problem is mechanical and recommended seeing a urologist. Last night, the symptoms were particularly bad and I had stomach cramping along with it (not sure one has anything to do with the other).

Do you have any ideas what this might be?
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

It is possible that you may be having bladder spasms and this could be due to an infection of the prostate called prostatitis. Sometimes, your urine culture can be negative even in the presence of prostatitis if it is due to a non-bacterial cause . In order to determine what the exact problem is, I certainly would recommend an evaluation by a urologist. They will need to examine your prostate to look for any signs of infection. You may need to be placed on a 30 day course of antibiotics such as Cipro to help treat prostatitis . For bladder spasms, they can prescribe a medication such as Toviaz to help stop the spasms. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've been misdiagnosed for prostatitus once before. I took medication for 3 months only to find out it was actually a hernia. From what I understand, a symptom of prostatitus is trouble gaining and maintaining an erection, and I have no issue there. Is that true? Also, if this were prostatitus, wouldn't this be a constant issue rather than roughly once a month (which is how often I have symptoms).
Erectile dysfunction can be a symptom of prostatitis, however if you don't have erectile dysfunction, if this does not mean that you don't have prostatitis. Prostatitis can certainly come and go during different times of the month as you can have flareups of the condition. I'm not saying you have prostatitis, but I think it should be ruled out specifically by a urologist.