Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

what is the prognosis for a 94 year old with kidney cancer

what is the prognosis for a 94 year old with kidney cancer bi-lateral (diagnosed 7 years ago)--no treatment who now has edema of the hands (both) and feet--he is a former physician and is on tons of durgs -including lasik---he has heart disease and high blood pressure and a chronic cough thanks
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

It's impossible to determine his prognosis without knowing how extensive his kidney cancer is and whether or not it has spread to any other parts of his body. If the swelling he has in his body is due to spread of the cancer, then he probably has less than a year to live. However, for somebody who is already 94 years of age, his average lifespan is probably only 1 to 2 years even if he did not have kidney cancer. It is possible that the swelling he has is due to kidney failure. His doctor may want to do some lab work to see if this is the problem. He may need to be started on a water pill to get some of this fluid off of his body. Hope this helps and please me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes he is on lasix -has been for years--his daughter wants him to get a hip revision--bad idea, right?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, a hip revision at his age is a very bad idea. He is too old to have surgery especially in light of his history of kidney cancer.