Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  Authored over 25 Book Chapters and Articles, Specializes in male and female voiding issues
20030499

I have been diagnosed with an exophytic cyst in the right kidney.

I have been diagnosed with an exophytic cyst in the right kidney. Is it anything to be concerned about? My grandmother died from kidney cancer.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. R replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. Please be patient as I respond: I may be in the OR or seeing a patient and will respond ASAP.

It really depends on the size of the cyst and the characteristics. A CT scan is actually more detailed. They can measure it if there is any concern. Exophytic means it is outside the kidney (sticking out). Many patients get cysts as they age. We only worry if they have concerning findings (enhance on CT scan, calcified, thick walled, septations). If the CT scan does not mention any of these things, nothing to worry about. The stones may be a bigger issue-I would see a urologist considering your history to see what can be done to help flush the stones out and prevent future stones.