Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Having pain after ejaculation. Pain is in the lower back and

Having pain after ejaculation. Pain is in the lower back and perineum. Pain starts at various times, sometimes within an hour of ejaculation and sometimes a few hours after. Lasts for 1 to 5 days and then goes away.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

This sounds like you have recurrent prostatitis. What antibiotics did you get for your first episode and how long of a course did you receive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe it was cipro and was for 14 days
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
14 days is not long enough to treat prostatitis. Correct treatment is 30 days of Cipro or Bactrim. If you got better on Cipro, then another 30 day course would be warranted. I would recommend a repeat urine culture before starting this second course of antibiotics to see what bacteria you may have. You can take ibuprofen for 1-2 weeks to decrease the pain and inflammation. Your doctor can also prescribe Urelle to help stop the pain. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you possibly tell me why after a period of time the pain goes away even if I have prostatitis and what is Urelle?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Pain from prostatitis can come in waves. Urelle is a medication designed to numb the urinary tract to stop the pain. Ibuprofen stops the inflammation causing the pain.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.