Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General Practice
Experience:  Years of experience with general surgery and urgent care

The head of my penis has been cold to the touch for about 2

The head of my penis has been cold to the touch for about 2 years now. When I sit for prolonged times, the head gets sore. If I stand or walk, it feels normal. I feel the best after a nice shower or bath. But sometimes it just gets so cold, I can feel the pain of it being that cold. About 2 1/2 years ago, I contracted chlamydia, or so the doctors thought. I took a bunch of different antibiotics, and some seemed to help a bit, but the symptoms always return. If I become aroused, it feels better as well. Any ideas?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
So the head actually is cold and, may I ask, has anyone else felt it and agreed? Is the head white and looking as if there's little blood in it? Can you describe the pain you mentioned?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My girlfriend as noticed as well.

There is no color difference. It looks like it always did.

The pain feels like when your hands are in the snow too long or if your skin gets rubbed raw. There is no pain during urination but after sexual activity, there is evidence of leakage on my underwear. Sometimes I can feel it leaking. Just a tiny bit though. Nothing like when I had chlamydia.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Is it just the head? Any problem with your back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Did you get my last question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No back pains and yes it is just the head that is cold.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
When you say the pain of feeling cold, are you actually talking about a kind of burning feeling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would have to say yes to that. It is kind of a burning feeling, like leaving an ice cube on your skin too long.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
And, if you squeeze the head, does it blanch--turn white--and then regain its normal color in a very few seconds?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, just did that and it took to the count of 3 to return to normal.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK--so you haven't seen a doctor about this in quite some time?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The last time was about 1 year ago. He said he couldn't detect anything from a swab test, so he was hesitent to prescribe anything.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
And there is no actual tenderness or burning on urination?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No burning on urination. I wouldn't say tenderness, but after a day in jeans, my head feels raw. After a shower, things go back to normal...for awhile.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. You seem to be describing what I would call a neuralgia of the glans--a nerve inflammation problem. This could be the head itself, or possibly referred pain from a spinal condition. I'd suggest you see a Urologist and a Neurologist for evaluation for this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, these are not signs of any STD or HIV or anything like that? What would be some common causes for this???
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
I don't think this is an STD, although if you haven't been tested for one lately you should. A neuropathy, if it were more generalized than just your penis, can be from autoimmune disorders, vitamin deficiencies, thyroid disorders, and even multiple sclerosis. If you had the problem, say, in your feet or legs, I'd be more inclined to work you up.