Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

is a prescription required for a penis vacuum pump (for ED)

is a prescription required for a penis vacuum pump (for ED)? IF not, where can they be purchased? Radical prostetectomy in 2006--been using caverject but can't stand the excruciating pain within 5 minutes of injection. (pills don't work)
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

Yes, to get a medical grade vacuum erection device you'll need a prescription from your urologist. However, you can buy some aftermarket on the Internet without prescription. They just may not be as fancy as the medical grade ones . If you still see your urologist, the best option is to see him to get a prescription for you. They sometimes have a representative
from the company who can show you how to use this device correctly in the clinic as well. Hope this helps