Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

can an un treated or improperly treated std cause kidney problems

can an un treated or improperly treated std cause kidney problems such as kidney disease?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

No, a sexually transmitted disease should not cause kidney problems unless you had a stricture of your urethra preventing you from being able to urinate. Your kidney disease is most likely caused by your history of diabetes, even though your sugars appear to be under control. The best thing you can do for kidney disease is to maintain well hydration by drinking at least 2 L of water per day and to make sure that all other medical problems such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol are kept under control. If your kidney disease is severe, then you should be referred to a nephrologist for close evaluation. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i was treated for a blockage in my uretha actually two "scar tissue" blockages one at the opening of the penis and one back towards the bladder that was surgicly repaired could this have had an effect or been caused by a possible std infection?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that could have been cause by an STD. And if this scar tissue caused unrecognized blockage of your bladder for years, this could have led to kidney problems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if that was the case and the blockage cleared will the kidney disease continue to advance? also is it possible to still have the std infection or would it have been discovered in testing?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
If the blockage is cleared and that was the cause of the kidney disease, then it will not advance further as long as you don;t develop any of the other medical problems that can cause kidneys disease like diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. It is not likely that you still have the STD if you don't have pain or discharge from the urethra. It would not have been detected on routine testing as STDs need to be tested for specifically. Hope this helps.