Urologist,M.D., Urologist
Experience:  Board Certified in Urology, Fellowship trained

My husband who is 56 has a recent PSA level of 5.2 - he was

My husband who is 56 has a recent PSA level of 5.2 - he was given a antibiotic regime for four weeks and did a repeat blood PSA test. We have not received the new results.

My questions are: if the antibiotic has not reduced the level lower, does that mean my husband may have prostate cancer? Is it possible to have an elevated level and do no treatment? I understand prostate cancer is so very slow growing and some biopsies can aggrevate the condition further. Thank you.

Hi there,
Please be patient, as I may be in the operating room or driving but will get back to you ASAP.

1. If it does not come down with antibiotics, then your husband will definitely need a prostate biopsy to rule out cancer. About 1 out of 3 biopsies come back positive for prostate cancer. So, just because the PSA does not come down does not mean he has cancer but needs it ruled out. His chancer would roughly be 1 in 3. The PSA level will not determine treatment he may need, but the actual biopsy results themself. If he does have cancer, there are many options based on how significant the cancer is. One of those options is to just wait and do nothing. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Dr. I can wait if you are in the O.R. or driving or doing something more important. I understand.

First, I pray that the PSA has dropped from 5.2 to something lower - we find out on Friday.

I understand when you say the biopsy would be the determining factor - that makes sense. I also know that sometimes the biopsy can cause the cancer to spread - I think that is what I am afraid of - it spreading. Also, if we do the wait and see after the biopsy, would that be sensible? Thank you.
Actually, you really can't spread prostate cancer through a biopsy. That is not an issue has never been proven or even argued for, so I would not worry about that. The wait and see after the biopsy is always a potential option, but it really depends on what the biopsy shows and how aggressive the potential cancer would be. Hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you doctor.
Best of luck!