Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Ive had 3 bladder infections in the last 4-5 months and just

I've had 3 bladder infections in the last 4-5 months and just got done with the antibiotics just this week and still have the high urgency to use the bathroom along with abdominal pains, how can I avoid these...I've been drinking more cranberry juice as well as cranberry pills. Is there a diffeent underlying issue that my primary docter isn't finding?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

If you continue to have recurrent infections, you should be referred to a urologist for an evaluation with cystoscopy and a CT scan to rule out kidney stones or other bladder abnormalities as the cause of the recurrent infections. The urgency and abdominal pain you have sounds like you are having bladder spasms related to the inflammation of the bladder from the recent infection. Your doctor should be able to prescribe you oxybutynin or Toviaz to help stop these spasms while the bladder heals over the next 1-2 weeks. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My family practitioner did mention seeing a urologist if these antibiotics didn't clear the most recent infection. Would the hysterecomy I had in Jan be a contributing factor to these infections?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Only if there was something that went wrong with the hysterectomy or if you developed an abnormal connection between your vagina and bladder (but you would leak urine constantly out of your vagina with this)