Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I have noticed bubbles in my urine what does that mean i am

I have noticed bubbles in my urine what does that mean i am 70 years old and in good health
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

Bubbles in the urine can mean one of two things. It can be due to normal forceful urination into the toilet bowl which stirs up bubbles in the water, or it can mean the presence of protein in the urine. If you did not have protein in your urine on your urinalysis, then this these bubbles are nothing to be concerned about. However, if the bubbles are coming out of your penis directly, then this can mean that you may have an abnormal connection between your bladder and your colon called a fistula. This can be possible if you have an inflammatory condition of your bowels called diverticulitis which can cause this fistula. If you have the air coming out of your penis, then you need to see a urologist to have an x-ray study called a cystogram to look for this fistula that may need to be repaired surgically. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not have a urive chemistry blood test, but a standard urine analysis and albumin test bit not the protein test is that sufficient to rule out protein?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, a standard urinalysis is sufficient to rule out protein. If there is not protein, then you are fine and this is nothing to worry about.