Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

54 year old son diagnosed with dead bladder .

Customer Question

My 54 year old son has a "dead bladder" Kaiser says he will have to continue self catherization that there is nothing they can do. He has bloody semen and it is very painful to use a catheter and work. I get the impression Kaiser just wants to save money and that there is more that could be done. What do you say?    Doctors inserted a camera up his urethra recently and said everything looks normal, except for an enlarged bladder.  My son says he cannot urinate on his own; intercourse is painful and results in bloody semen due to irritation by the catheter.    Is there any operation that could help people like this?   As a child, he held back urinating for years and probably resulted in this malady.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

How did they determine that his bladder was dead? Did he have a test called urodynamics where they put a catheter in his bladder and rectum and measured bladder pressures?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Why did you leave negative feedback for me? You did not respond to the questions I asked.