Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have a cyst on the adrenal gland. I saw my Internal medicine

I have a cyst on the adrenal gland. I saw my Internal medicine Doctor today and he told me about the MRI results. Basically, the cyst is 8 x 9 cm with a nodule in it. Suspected Hematoma. He referred me to a Urologist Surgeon. He said this man is the top Doctor and head of the Urology Dept. I didn't know that urologist operate on adrenal glands. I know it is connected to the kidney but, is this a surgery that urologist do often? The endocrinologist I found, work on the pituratory, Thyroid and such but not adrenal. Did my Doctor refer me to the right surgeon for the job?
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

Yes, urologists operate on the adrenal glands all the time. This is a gland that sits directly on top of the kidneys and we are very familiar with the anatomy and remove them quite frequently by themselves or entirely what along with the kidney. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How long does it usually take to remove a cyst with the adrenal gland? Laproscopic or open? How risky is it? The cyst is nonfunctional, I am 212 lb female. Do you think laproscopic is the best option for someone that heavy?
The laparoscopic approach is the best way to remove this especially if you have not had surgery in that region before. It should take about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do this surgery. This surgery is no more risky than any surgery on or around the kidneys (not a high risk surgery) Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just had surgery in that area on 1/25/11 laproscopic
Then it should still be ok to have repeat laparoscopic surgery there. But your urologist will have to determine this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I thought with my size it would be easier for the surgeon to see what he's doing. I don't want to have surgery again for this same problem. What are the chances of another cyst growing if the gland is removed? The first surgery they didn't remove the gland just the cyst. and in 4 weeks another cyst was present. Do you think this will happen again
Well it's impossible for me to predict if the cyst will recur because I am not doing your surgery and I've never seen your CT scans to determine what is going on. But hopefully, this time, they will have removed the correct structure and it will not recur again. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know i don't want you to answer the impossible. I guess what I'm trying to find out is, Is this something that happens often. another cyst redemonstration so quickly after surgery? I'm just trying to find out whats normal and whats not. If you tell me this is normal and it happens often after removal of a cyst then fine, and I will ask no more questions
If this is purely a cyst, then yes, this fluid can re accumulate, but this does not happen frequently. I have seen it happen before though. They just need to make sure they remove the entire cyst sac
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
With the first one they removed the walls. Not to sure what decortication and excision means but they did that. Could it be because it was on the adrenal gland and they didn't remove the gland? This time they are saying they are removing the gland and cyst. (Different hospital though)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey I'm just trying to understand what is happening to me. Nobody wants to have all these repeat surgeries. I can't seem to get anyone to say what actually could have happened to cause me to have repeat surgeries. I don't like getting cut on. My first surgery was said to be on my kidney. The cyst was first aspirated by a fine needle, then 3 months later laproscopically removed. The pathologist then said the removed cyst had adrenal cells. I assume this means it was adrenal all along. I know they had a hard time trying to find the origin of the cyst because it was 22 x 15 cm large and covered a lot of stuff. I thought they would have at least tested the cells to see the origin since they were just assuming, but it was only tested for cancer. You said Urologist remove adrenal glands and cyst in that area all the time. I know for sure there was no workup for adrenal disorder performed until after the 2nd surgery had taken place. Then they started testing for adrenal disorders after I suggested maybe I should see a Endocrinologist. My thing is, If Urologist are used to this type of surgery, could they have seen if another cyst was there after the second aspiration during the laproscopic procedure. If there is a cyst that large on the adrenal, what is the normal procedure for that? I'm wondering if laproscopic surgery gives you a full view of what really is going on inside. It seems an open cut would allow a surgeon to see better and leave less room for mishaps.
Well it's impossible for me to say exactly what went on because I didn't do the surgery. However a cyst that large can make things very difficult to identify whether this is the microscopically or open. Even if the cyst originated from the kidney, the presence of adrenal cells on the Cyst may just mean that part of the adrenal gland was taken because the cyst was so large. This does not mean that it definitely is coming from the adrenal gland. This does some like a very strange case and unfortunately I'm not going to be able to provide much help because I have never seen your CT scan nor did I do your surgery. This is something that you're going to have to figure out with your surgeons.