Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

What does it mean when you have leukocytes and no nitrates

What does it mean when you have leukocytes and no nitrates in the urine? Just completed a series of antibiotics last week, did a did stick test, and showed positive for leukocytes, negative for fever, no symptoms, bladder was check about 8 months ago with that instrument w/camera/light etc....and was found normal, also show blood in the urine...what could this be? what is an ic?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

The leukocytes could just be due to inflammation from either chronic cystitis or from a kidney stone. Since you have blood in your urine, hope you had a CT scan with IV contrast done already. This needs to be done to rule out tumors of the urinary tract and kidney stones of the cause of the leukocytes and blood.IC may be relating to a condition called interstitial cystitis where the lining of the bladder is abnormal and can cause bleeding and symptoms that may mimic a urinary tract infection. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ct scan was done in the lower abdomen area back in aug 2010....with everything being normal, including kidneys, etc...also full panel blood test was good, chest x ray was good, and still have the negative results in the urine?? Is cyctitis serious, and how is it treated and diagnosed? what tests are done to determine cysts?? thank you so much!!
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Cystitis is diagnosed by looking in the bladder with cystoscopy which it sounds like you already had done. If your doctor cannot figure out any other reason why you have your symptoms or findings of leukocytes, then you may have this condition called interstitial cystitis. This is where the lining of the bladder is abnormal and if your urologist thinks this is appropriate, you may need to be placed on a medication called Elmiron to see if this helps to restore the normal lining of the bladder. Hope this helps.