Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I passed what looked like jelly/mucus in my urine today. (

I passed what looked like jelly/mucus in my urine today. ( a piece about the size of a 10p coin) I am 65 years old and had cystitis last year, where I passed blood. Had a Cystoscopy last October and all was clear. Haven't had cystitis since. Is it worth going to see my GP about the mucus in my urine could it be the start of something serious, or wait to see if it happens again?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

The presence of mucus in the urine is likely an indication of the start of a possible urinary tract infection. I would probably see your GP at this point to have a urine test done to see if you need to be started on antibiotics to prevent a worsening infection. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If it was the start of an infection surely I would have symptoms similar to cystitis?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
It is possible, but not always. Mucous production may be the only sign of an infection. Even if you don't have an infection, the mucous will surely lead to one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you reassure me that it is only a possibility that I may have an infection and nothing more serious?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, this is most likely due to an infection. The other possibility are kidney stones, but there is no way I can determine this without being able to examine you. If you are concerned about cancer, I don't have any reason to believe that this is from cancer.