Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have pain in my penis, before and after I urinate, about

I have pain in my penis, before and after I urinate, about 3 weeks. I believe I caused this myself by experimenting. No blood, urination normal, no discharge. Will this pain go away?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. If I don't respond immediately, it is because I am either in the OR or traveling. I will get back to you ASAP.

What do you mean by "experimenting"? I can provide further help if you can let me know what you did to cause this pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A process called sounding, I inserted a small blunt rod abot 2 inches nto my ureter, briefly, pain started a week later. I went to med center later about the pain, forgettinng thatt I had done this, and they checked urine, sent for culture, all was normal.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, this "sounding" can stretch the urethra and cause the pain you describe. It should go away after a few weeks, but if it persists for another week or so, you need to get in to see a urologist to see if you may have caused damage to your urethra. I don't recommend that you do this practice anymore as you can cause serious injury and damage to the urethra from scar tissue formation, preventing you from urinating at all. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
maenwhile, how can I cut the pain, does drinking lots of water help, and the med center prescribed Bactrim, would this help? I now realize the issues of this practice and do nto plan to do it again.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
You can get a medication over the counter at the pharmacy called AZO which can help to numb the urethra while the healing takes place. This will cause your urine to red-orange, so don't be alarmed
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My question on drinking water and Bactrim? Just want to help myself if I can. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry. Drinking water is always a good thing to stay hydrated, but it will not help the healing. Bactrim will only help if there is evidence of infection on your urine sample. Otherwise, it will not help if there is no infection.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.