Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Passed one kidney stone; still have one 2-3mm upper pole right

Customer Question

Passed one kidney stone; still have one 2-3mm upper pole right kidney. No symptoms. Urologist cannot say it is unlikely to cause problem; and need it out for FAA medical. Is ureteroscopy reasonable? Or is it too high risk to consider?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

Being a pilot or trying to pass an FAA medical is one of the situations where removal of all kidney stones is required. It is certainly reasonable to have ureteroscopy to remove this 2 to 3 mm upper pole stone to prevent it lodging in the ureter during midflight. I would highly recommend that you had this removed. This is certainly not a high-risk procedure. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My only hesitation, since you indicate that it is not high-risk, is that the urologist stated that he would not be able to remove it if it had not "eroded through" as he wouldn't be able to see it through the ureteroscope. I suppose there's no way to know that without going through the procedure though. Is that correct?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
He is correct. If the stone has not eroded through into urinary drainage system, then it cannot be removed. This can be determined based on that appearance on CT scan. If the stone is still within the meat of the kidney, then you don't have a risk of this becoming dislodged anytime soon. You just need to have this followed closely. Your urologist should be able to provide a note to the FAA stating that you do not have a risk of the stone becoming dislodged in the near future if the stone is stuck within the meat of the kidney. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know if it is "in the meat" or not. He stated it was at the tip of a papilla, and that no urologist could state that it would be stable.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
If it is at the tip of the papilla, then it may become dislodged. Your urologist may want to consider just going up there and seeing if they can manually dislodge it. You have to understand that there maybe a chance that they may not be able to get it out. However, to pass your FAA screening, I think it's worth a shot. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Helps a lot.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome