Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I had blood when I wiped after urinating and went in to the

Customer Question

I had blood when I wiped after urinating and went in to the dr blood work came back fine. I had a sonogram done and it showed matter in the bladder it also showed that even after peeing twice prior to the sonogram that my bladder had close to 5 ounces in it. the dr had me do a urine test to see if my bladder wasnt emptying properly. This test showed that my bladder was emptying properly. I am having lower abdomen, back , and hip pain. I wonder what is wrong with me. I also was diagnosed with strep on tuesday and this pain and mucus with blood when wiping along with a rash on my stomach and lower back appeared on Wednesday. I had to have a d and c on January 18th and bled for 8 days then bled again on January 31st for two days, Feb 17th for 5 days and then saw the mucusy blood when wiping on March 1 and 2. I dont see blood when wiping but i still have the pain.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

If you haven't had a urine culture done. you need to have one to rule out infection as the cause of the bleeding. You also need a CT scan and cystoscopy to evaluate the kidneys and bladder for stones or rarely even tumors as the cause of the bleeding. I'm not sure if this is related to the D&C or not, but it may be. You need to be evaluated by a urologist for this. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i had a urine test done and it showed no infections at all. Do stones cause lower back, hip joint and stomach pain? They also told me not drink caffeine, carbonated drinks, ir anything with artifical sweetners. I think they told me this because they were afraid of there being an infection. do you think I could have gout?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
I doubt this is gout. Stones can certainly cause low back pain and pain that can radiate to the stomach area. I'm not sure why you have hip pain. I think you need to see a urologist for an exam and you definitely need the tests I described to further evaluate the blood in the urine.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what would be the cause of these stones i have no family history and is there a possibility it is cancer? I feel exhausted.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what would be the cause of these stones i have no family history and is there a possibility it is cancer? I feel exhausted and do you think its ok to drink caffeine again? I only drink one cup of coffee per day. Thanks again!!! :)
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
You can resume drinking caffeine as long as you don't have urgency and frequency urinary symptoms. This is not likely due to cancer, however, the CT scan and cystoscopy should be done to rule out cancer as a possibility. The most common cause of stones is dehydration. Almost all stones have nothing to do with family inheritance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much!!! The best news tonight is that I can have my caffeine fix in the am. I dont how I could be dehydrated I drink at least 64 ounces of h20 a day i am constantly thirsty and have to pee. Thanks again! :)

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>i went to the urlogist and had the issue again of not being able to empty my bladder. I peed twice prior to the test and still had 4.5 ounces left in my bladder.</p><p> </p><p>My urine came back clean with no crystals or infections. </p><p> </p><p>What could the matter in the bladder be that was seen when doing a transvaginal ultrasound? I have cystoscopy scheduled for next week. Could this be cancer? What would differentiate stones from cancer as far as test results and symptoms? </p>
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Well the only way to tell if this is cancer or not is to have the cystoscopy. There's no way to differentiate between stones and cancer based on the tests you have done so far. You just need to have the cystoscopy to do further evaluation.