Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

the kidneys demonstrate symmetric enhancement without evidence

the kidneys demonstrate symmetric enhancement without evidence of hydronephorsisi. no evidence of radiodense reanl stones of note is a 3 mm calcification immediately posterior to the distal right ureter (3/281) without evidence of external ureteral compression.

This mri without contrast was done about 8 months ago. since then i have been having microscopic hematuria during my urinanalysis.

should i be concerned about this enough to follow up with more scans and unrinanalyis?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

If you have not had a CT scan with IV contrast and delayed images or cystoscopy, you need to have this done to further workup your hematuria. Otherwise, the scan you described sounds normal with a small calcification outside the ureter which sounds to be of no concern. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
why go through this testing if it sounds to be of no concern. what could be wrong if there was something wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Blood in the urine always needs to be evaluated with a CT scan and having a cystoscope placed into the bladder to rule out serious causes such as tumors of the urinary tract. However, the bleeding can also be due to undiagnosed kidney stones. These tests are needed to complete your workup. The likelihood of you having these conditions are low, however if they need to be ruled out. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ia cytoscope going to hurt?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
No, it does not hurt. It is just like having a catheter placed into the bladder, which is not painful.