Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

recently,I had sex with a 55 year old man 30 years in my past.

recently,I had sex with a 55 year old man 30 years in my past. I recall an app. 7in. penis with normal testicles & scrotal sac. Now, however, the size of the penis is App. 1/2 the size, & the scrotum is very lg & firm, Apparently not painful. We managed to avoid discussing this. I am a nurse(nicu) with little ex. with adults, & am concerned for him. Is this a sort of hernia or other medical issue, or just age-related issues ? Please advise, & then how to broach this issue.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

It is most likely that the enlarged scrotum is due to a condition called a hydrocele which is a benign fluid collection. It may be a hernia as well, but the hydrocele is more likely. The enlargement of the scrotum is likely hiding a good portion of his penis, making it appear smaller. His penis did not shrink to half its size. He can see a urologist for an exam and an ultrasound of the scrotum to confirm the diagnosis and discuss surgery to correct this. It is not a necessary surgery unless this is a hernia or if the hydrocele is causing pain. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the info 1-25 on scrotal enlargement, however, I need clarity. I am very familiar with preemies & inguinal hernias whereby the enlarged hernias overwhelm the penis, & that with gentle pressure surrounding the penis, it then protrudes. With this 55 yo, that is not the case. This very enlarged scrotum is not surrounding the penis but is beneath as it should be. I either have a very bad recall of the size of his penis from 30 years ago (i don't think so), or really, it is nearly 1/2 the size. Age related? I am confused. Also, hernia, hydrocele, pain or no, why wouldn't one have this surgically repaired? It would certainly seem, at least, cumbersome. Thanks for your input, again.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.

Well I can't comment of the previous size of his penis as I obviously have never examined him. It is possible that his penis is retracting into this body (which can be due to obesity), but his penis did not shrink to half its size. The penis does not shrink unless he has trauma to it or has it operated on. His urologist can examine him to determine if he has a buried penis to determine if anything can be done to expose it more.

As far as operating on a hydrocele, hydroceles in adults are very different from hydroceles in children. In adults, it is a benign fluid collection that is more of an annoyance than anything else. Operations are not needed unless the patient wants it removed because it is bothering him or is unsightly to him. hernias should be repaired so that they do not become strangulated. Hope this helps.