Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Dull ache and burning sensation in right back/kidney area with Blood in U

Dull ache and "burning" sensation in right back/kidney area with Blood in Urine.

Jan. 14 at work felt a little light headed most of the morning (no fever). Urinated and saw it was Bright red and pink. Obviously freaked me out so went right to my doctor. They obviously found blood in my urine. He sent me for an ultrasound of the kidneys which showed nothing abnormal.

Since then visibly I can not see blood in my urine and I have a dull ache in my right flank in back and kidney area (like a muscle ache after sleeping in a draft) and a bit of a burning sensation there (not when urinating).

Finally saw urologist Jan. 21 (a week after prompting incident). Blood in urine was Significantly down (I think he mentioned numbers like 750 down to 45 ???).

He has me scheduled on Feb 2 for a scope and kidney/dye xray.

I am 41 (42 Feb. 3rd) 5' 6" about 200lbs

What diagnosis could I expect and what treatment?
Submitted: 3 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Y :

Hi there, Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

Dr. Y :

We cannot determine the diagnosis or treatment without having the tests that you are scheduled for. You need to have a CT scan with dye and cystoscopy to rule out causes of bleeding and pain such as kidney stones, tumors of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. You also need a prostate exam to rule out a prostate infection or even prostate cancer (unlikely at your age).

Dr. Y :

Hope this helps

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am going for those tests.

I guess a clearer question (understanding all the information is NOT avaliable yet) would be, based on your experience what would you be suspecting to find at this point?

I understand this is NOT a definitive diagnosis but I just wanted to get a realistic probability. If you were rolling the dice right now what would you have your money on?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
If you are not a smoker, thenmy guess would be a kidney stone. If you are a smoker, then you are at a higher risk of having cancer of the ureters, bladder, or kidneys. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.