Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  Authored over 25 Book Chapters and Articles, Specializes in male and female voiding issues
20030499

64 year old male frequent urination with sometimes slight

64 year old male frequent urination with sometimes slight stinging at end every week or so there is significant blood in urine which will reoccur once or twice in 24 hour period
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. R replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. Please be patient as I respond: I may be in the OR or seeing a patient and will respond ASAP.

You need to see a urologist for the frequency and blood.
Blood in the urine can be caused by infections, inflammation, stones or growths anywhere in the urethra, prostate, bladder or kidneys. This must be evaluated by a urologist to rule out a growth as the source. The evaluation includes a urinalysis, a urine culture, a urine cell test called a cytology, as well as a Ct scan of the kidneys ( or a sonogram) and a cystoscopy, where the urologist looks in the bladder. Most likely not cancerous, but the evaluation needs to be done to be sure.