Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  Authored over 25 Book Chapters and Articles, Specializes in male and female voiding issues

what could a psa score of 1.54 to 5.76 in one year indicat

what could a psa score of 1.54 to 5.76 in one year indicate?
Hello and thanks for your question. Please be patient as I respond: I may be in the OR or seeing a patient and will respond ASAP.

Most likely this is due to some benign issue with that large of a rise on a year. Possibilities include non specific inflammation of the prostate, other inflammation along the urinary tract, benign enlargement. However, the PDA should be repeated in 3-4 weeks with a urine test done. If the urine test is normal and the PSA stays elevated, then a biopsy of the prostate should be performed. Biopsies are well tolerated by almost all men and would be the only way to rule out prostate cancer as a cause of the psa jump. If the repeat PsA comes back normal, a biopsy will not be needed.?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i forgot to mention a urine analysis done at the same time as the psa came back showing no problems. i urinate about 3 times a day . do not get up at night to urinate and have no buring sensations when i urinate. a c.t. done 5 years back showed a slightly enlarged prostate
I would still repeat the blood test in 3-4 weeks and expect it will not be as high. Prostate cancer, even when that is the cause of Psa elevation, tends to rise very slowly as prostate cancer is very slow growing in the great majority if cases. Have the psa repeated. If it is still elevated, you will need a biopsy.