Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

IS PROTEIN COUNT OF 5.7 LOW IN BLOOD SAMPLE

Customer Question

IS PROTEIN COUNT OF 5.7 LOW IN BLOOD SAMPLE?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

A level of 5.7 is slightly low as the low end of normal is 6.0, however, this is only slightly off the low end of normal and is nothing to be concerned about as the protein level can fluctuate with your diet. I would consider this level to be only slightly low, but nothing to be concerned about. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
should it be followed up with a 24 hour urine test for proteien/blood in the urine
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
No. A 24 hour urine sample is only needed if protein is found in the urine. Your lab test was from the blood, not urine from what you told me.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I recently noticed frothing of the urine on occasion and little swelling of the ankles whens sitting for extended periods.
I twas therfor suggested that these conditions in combination with the low protein count in the blood points to a 24 urine test
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Frothing of the urine can indicate protein in the urine and this case, you should have a urinalysis first to see if you have protein in the urine. If you do, then you will need to have a 24 hour urine collection done.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been told that that low protein in the blood could be a sign of LCDD
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
I guess I am not familiar with the abbreviation LCDD. Can you clarfy this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
apparently it is acronymn for Light Chain deposition disease which affects the kidneys amongst other organs and is sometimes associated with myeloma.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Ah yes. OK. This is another name for multiple myeloma. Yes, it is possible that this is a cause, but there are many other more common disease such as kidney disease due to high blood pressure and diabetes that van cause this as well and you should be evaluated for these if you have protein in the urine.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are the likely symptoms for myeloma in this case
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
You van be completely asymptomatic and have multiple myeloma. You can also have swelling in the legs, but you get this also just from losing protein with diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure. You can't determine if you have multiple myeloma based on symptoms alone. You need to have your urine sent for electrophoresis to look for light cham proteins.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What would be the expected live expectancy of a situation involving the kidneys with LCDD?
this is my last question --thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
With conventional treatment, the prognosis is 3–4 years, which may be extended to 5–7 years with advanced treatments. Treatments can include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or even stem cell transplants. Some patients can live as long as 15 years with this disease. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Urine foamy/bubbly , dip stick test on urine show virtually no protein in urine sample
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by virtually no protein. There either is protein present or there isn't. If it is slightly positive, then there is protein in the urine and you need a 24 hour urine collection done by your doctor to see how much protein is present.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dipstick test was done and compared to the 'shades of green' block markings on the comparison table .
the 'least green ' block matched with the dipstick on a reading of '10'--in fact I thought it compared more with the 'neg' block
Based on this outcome the doctor decided not to proceed at this time with 24 urine test--but rather do a repeat test in 6 weeks and then decide on road forward.
However I am still concerned about the foamy/bubbly urine.
Again I have no pain or discomfort or any other symptoms
Hope it makes sense
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no reply as yet
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
This sounds like your urine dipstick is negative for protein. However, because you have foamy urine, you should see your doctor to have a formal urinalysis sent to a lab to look for protein. You don't need a 24 hour urine test unless you are found to have protein in the lab test from the lab as this is more accurate than the test strips. Foamy urine can also just be a benign find g due to forceful urination. Hope his helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
"find g" due to forcefull urination--meaning g=gravity?

Ok I will go to have lab test done
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Sorry. That should have said finding due to forceful urination.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is protein in urine colorless?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you cannot see protein in the urine.