Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

Can urine output be really excessive one day (due to stress)

Customer Question

Can urine output be really excessive one day (due to stress) and minimal the next? Having no discomfort just wondering why the body does this. In my case it may also be caused by my having taken an antidepressant.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

Excessive urine output can be caused by conditions such as diabetes so you need to be evaluated for this by your doctor. However, your urine output can seem excessive due to prostate obstruction and you should also have an exam by a urologist to ensure that your prostate is not the problem.This is not caused by stress or your antidepressants. Certain heart conditions such as congestive heart failure can also cause excessive urine output. You should be evaluated for this is well. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Been evaluated for both. But that wasn't my question. I think it has something to do with body regulating itself.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Well your urine output should not fluctuate from day today unless you are changing the amount of fluid that you drink each day.Your body is regulating itself by getting rid of excess fluid and increasing your urine production when you drink excess fluids. Some medications can cause excess urine production, however this would result in excess urine production every day.