Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

I am having trouble urinating and was wondering if this might

I am having trouble urinating and was wondering if this might be phsychological perhaps. It has been going on now for about one week--I have also had a head cold during that time as well and have been treating it with musinex. I notice that when I go to urinate, I only can do a small stream and very little comes out. However, after I masterbate and ejaculate, that my urine flow is back to normal--at least for a few hours. I am woken up at night coughing from my cold and then have to go to the bathroom--I go to urinate and nothing or very little. Am I just too tired from not getting enough sleep? Not quite sure--I have no pain except when I go to urinate and this pain is only at the tip of my penis like I am subconsiously trying to hold it in--similar to being on a long drive and looking for a bathroom along the way. I am 58 years old, taking lisinapril for blood pressure, a statin for cholesterol, and one asperin a day. I have been taking this for a number of years with no problems. So, am wondering if I am too stressed out from work, or just too tired, or what? Can you shed some light on my present and hopefully short lived problem? Sometimes when I talk to myself and attempt to relax, then I can get a small stream to come out for a few seconds, then it stops once again. This goes on for about 4 to 6 times a night.
Thank you in advance for any advise you might have for me.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

This sounds to me like you have obstruction to your urine flow from an enlarged prostate. You need to see your urologist for a prostate exam and you may need to be started on a med called tamsulosin to help relax the prostate so you can urinate normally. This med will also decrease the number of times you have to urinate at night. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.