Dr. B
Dr. B, Urologist
Experience:  Trained in Adult and Pediatric Urology, Fellowship trained in Urologic Oncology.

My Creatinine, serum is 1.50 and eGFR is 46. how bad is this

My Creatinine, serum is 1.50 and eGFR is 46. how bad is this and can i do anything about it?I am a 73 year old cauc. male I tried pitting my credit card # as asked, said was incorrect. can i contact you? my card is valid.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. B replied 5 years ago.
Your labs indicate some degree of renal insufficiency. There is some decline in renal function in everyone with age. There are many factors that can influence renal function, such as hypertension, diabetes, vascular disease, etc. If your numbers have been stable for many years then this is probably less urgent. You should see a nephrologist (medical doctor of the kidneys) for an evaluation. There may be certain medications that you should be on to help protect your kidneys from further decline in function. Ultimately you want to preserve as much kidney function as possible to avoid end stage renal disease and dialysis (eGFR < 10-15). I hope this helps you.