Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Could an enlarged prostate cause a man premature ejaculation

Could an enlarged prostate cause a man premature ejaculation ? If so is there anything that can be done about it?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

No, an enlarged prostate does not cause premature ejaculation. There are several treatment options for premature ejaculation (PE). The medications you can take are one of several selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil) or fluoxetine (Prozac), to help delay ejaculation. These have to be prescribed by a doctor. The other option is the squeeze technique. This is done as follows:

Step 1. Begin sexual activity as usual, including stimulation of the penis, until you feel almost ready to ejaculate.
Step 2. Have your partner squeeze the end of your penis, at the point where the head (glans) joins the shaft, and maintain the squeeze for several seconds, until the urge to ejaculate passes.
Step 3. After the squeeze is released, wait for about 30 seconds, then go back to foreplay. You may notice that squeezing the penis causes it to become less erect, but when sexual stimulation is resumed, it soon regains full erection.
Step 4. If you again feel you're about to ejaculate, have your partner repeat the squeeze process.

You can also try psychotherapy to help delay ejaculation. This approach, also known as counseling or talk therapy, involves talking with a mental health provider about your relationships and experiences. These talk sessions can help you reduce performance anxiety or find effective ways of coping with stress and solving problems.

Topical anesthetic creams containing lidocaine or prilocaine dull the sensation on the penis to help delay ejaculation. Applied a short time before intercourse, these creams are wiped off when your penis has lost enough sensation to help you delay ejaculation. The medication I use most for my patient is called 4% Lidocaine cream. You can buy this on the internet if you do a search for it. Hope this helps and please ask any other questions you may have.