Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

slight urethral discomfort, and mild burning at tip of penis.

slight urethral discomfort, and mild burning at tip of penis. Had pink eye last week and Std tests came back negative. I have taken 1000 mg. Cipro all week for UTI but no urine test was done. Urthetral discomfort has gotten better but still there but still have same penis tip discomfort 7 days after Cipro
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

If you are at risk for STDs, you should still be treated regardless of whether your STD test was negative because this test can miss the STD sometimes. The antibiotics you need are Rocephin and Azithromycin. The cipro will not treat an STD. The cipro may treat a UTI is this urethral irritation is due to a UTI, but it sounds like you are still having symptoms. You need to go back to your doctor for a reevaluation. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They gave me the Rocphen and Azithromycin when they did the test. Should my symptoms be completely gone after 7 days and 1000 mg. of Cipro. My urethral discomfort is better(not gone) but I still have discomfort at penis tip

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 5 years ago.
Then it is possible that the urethral discomfort may be due to an infection of the prostate called prostatitis. You need to see a urologist to help treat this as it will take about 4-6 weeks of cipro to completely get rid of this hard-to-treat infection.