Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

after i urinate , i cant finish, and i drip urine for a while

after i urinate , i can't finish, and i drip urine for a while and have to squeeze the rest out with toilet paper..what could be the cause?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Please be patient for a response as I may be in the OR or driving, but will get back to you ASAP.

This is most likely due to urine that is trapped in the urethra where the curve of the urethra is located just behind the scrotum. This is normal in some men as they age. To get all the urine out, you need to milk the urine out from behind the scrotum in the urethra out toward the end of the penis. Then you will not leak anymore after you urinate. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok..but how do i get all the urine out after finishing?....if i shake a little after finishing there is still quite a bit of urine left...
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
You need to "milk" the urethra from the outside from just behind the scrotum to the end of the penis to get all the urine out after you finish urinating. Shaking will not get the urine out the part of the urethra that is behind the scrotum.