Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

lower pelvic-like pressure. No bacterial but blood in urine.

Customer Question

Lower pelvic-like pressure. Some "twinges" is what I can best describe it as in the very lower pelvic area. Feels like urinary track infection......been on macrobid, cipro, and bactrim all for them to tell me it's not a uti and there is no bacteria. No bacterial but I have been told that there is blood in urine.   Which could in fact be coming from my cervix since that was bleeding for 3 weeks, but not seeing any blood myself like I was with that issue. Previous to this I had a bacterial infection on my cervix during that bleeding episode which they treated with metrogel and it helped. Now I have this whole urinary track infection feeling and they are stuck. They are talking possible scope into bladder next week to take a look. They also gave me prydium (sp?) to help with the discomfort which i am starting tonight. Help. Very scared I have cancer or something horrbly wrong!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Y : You may have a condition called overactive bladder due to bladder spasms that are causing the twinges. It is highly unlikely that you have a cancer causing this. You do need a cystoscopy to evaluate the bladder because of the bleeding and you need a CT scan as well. The bleeding may just be coming from bladder inflammation. Hope this helps.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience: I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>Also I have missed my period over a week ago now. I have been on the prydium now for 24 hrs. and still feel like pelvic pain/twinging (mainly on left side). Not urinating often and sometimes when I feel as though I really need to go, only a little comes out.</p><p>Super stressed and unmanagable anxiety. Taking zantex, not sleeping, not eating barely at all, crying a lot and lossing my mind.</p>
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
If you have missed your period and are sexually active, you should probably have a pregnancy test done. If the pain is unbearable, you should go to the ER tonight to have an exam done and possibly a CT scan.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pain is not unbearable, just unpleasant twinges. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on what exactly this may be going on with me?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 4 years ago.
This sounds like bladder spasms as I mentioned. You may need to be tried on medication such as oxybutinin to try to see if this stops the twinges.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, about eight weeks ago, I was brought in the obgyn to "discuss" a nuva ring. I also thought I might be getting a yeast infection. He confirmed "a little yeast traces" and gave me Trazol cream for 3 days. In the same visit, he shoved the nuva ring up me and it hurt for just a second or so but he was definitely struggling.He also took it right back at as this was just a demo. I went home, started the 3 day cream and within 2 days, I was bleeding, fresh blood, not mentrual, slimy, and smelled bad! I went back to the obgyn, and they confirmed I was bleeding from my cervix......nobody said so but I feel there was damage done when he put the nuva ring in. They said no big deal and sent me home. I was still bleeding a week later and it was very irritating to my vagina like a yeast infection and still smelt bad! I was using tampons for three weeks to mask the smell. They also gave me a 3 pill/7 days diflucan since it was irritating to me. After a week, I went back again to the obgyn and they took several cultures, no clamydia, negative microplasma/uroplasma (sp?), but they gave me metrogel and told me to wait a few days. In the mean time, I started to feel that sensation in my vagina of a uti, so they tested for that and put me on macrobid which I took for 24 hrs., they told me the urine was fine and to stop the macrobid and go ahead with the metrogel. I then went and visited my old obgyn to get his opinion. I was beyond stressed to the max, anxiety through the roof and crying all the time. Not eating, not sleeping, etc. He did his own cultures as well for clamydia, micro/uroplasma(sp?) everything negative. Although, a day before seeing him, I was not getting anymore blood. He did say my cervix looked very vascular and inflammed, so go ahead with the metrogel. I did that for 5 days which created abdominal cramping and that stopped. I felt okay for 24 hrs. being off of that and then.......that uti sensation again. Not having to go frequently, but that sensation down there that is just awful and you can't ignore! They did a urine sample, said there was blood(but could be from cervix still) and white blood cells. They sent it out for a culture and put me on bactrim which I was on for 5 days and made me terribly ill! They finally admitted that they lost my urine and it was never sent. They switched me to Cipro which I was on for two days and continued discomfort sensation in my vagina along with the pelvic cramping continued. They had me stop and 24 hrs. come in for another urine specimen. They said more blood and more white blood cells. They sent out again for culture.......and advised me to continue the cipro which I did for another 3 days.....then they called and said, stop all antibiotics, there is no bacteria what so ever!?!?!?!?! I stopped and they gave me the pyridum for a few days. I have since stopped the pyridium on Monday morning and the cramping has stopped since also. MY GP wanted to see me though to treat my anxiety as I have been crawling out of my skin thinking I'm dying and just can't shake this discomfort down there. They decided to do their own urine specimen too which came back fine, no blood, no nothing.....still have discomfort. Havent had sex in about 8 weeks due to these issues which just spirled out of control. I don't eat barely anything, but bread, oatmeal, yogurt. I drink only water. I have noticed that due to these issues and my stress I walk around with all my muscles down there tensed up! I don't even realize I'm doing it. Prior to this all, I was healthy, had a great sex life, ate anything I wanted, and drank anything too including caffine daily, soda, and a glass of wine or two almost every other day. Nothing ever bothered me before. Can you help try to determine what may have happened to me during all of this? Is my muscle tension and stress causing that almost urethral sensation......I guess you would call it. I do have to wait 6 weeks to meet with a urologist who might do a cystoscopy but I'm worried that'll cause more damage too. I was perfectly fine before.......I am a 28 year olf female. What happened in this crazy sequence of events and how can I help myself get better???

During this, I missed my period while taking the Bactrim, which I finally got the other day, but it was two weeks late.

Also, this does not wake me up at night, it is not painfull, just very discomforting, it has never hurt or burned to urinate either.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
It is almost impossible for me to determine what has happened to you without being able to examine you. However, from your description, it certainly sounds like you may have a component of pelvic floor tension that may be causing the symptoms. Your urologist may want to refer you to a pelvic floor rehab specialist to help teach you how to relax the pelvic floor muscles. The cystoscopy may help to determine what is causing your pain as well so I do recommend this test when you see your urologist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know reading oline has made me think much worse sometimes, but at times it also helps. Like realizing how tense I was squeezing my muscles down there all the time for several weeks. during the morning after a night sleep with xantex, I feel ok, not 100% better but okay. Then as the day goes on, it gets worse. I am trying to lay down and make a conscience effort to relax those muscles. I do feel 75% better but have the feeling still a little. I am going to do the cystoscopy just to be safe. But I hear all these horror stories of people's constant struggles with uretheral irritation, pelvic floor dysfunction, and IC which never go a way completely. Do you think this could be a isolated incident and I may be okay after all this? I know I may have done this to myself with all the stress and tension down there.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
This certainly may be an isolated incident that will go away. If it is related to pelvic floor tension, then pelvic floor rehab is the way to go to get you back to normal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you soooooo much! Any idea if I can go find a PT to do that on my own before the cystoscopy of what? Who determines that this is that and that I can be treated for it?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 3 years ago.
I am pretty sure that you will need a prescription referral from your doctor to get in to see a PT. However this depends on what your insurance company will allow so your should call them to find out. You doctor will be able to make this referral otherwise.