Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

how long does it take for the antibiotic bactrim to work to

how long does it take for the antibiotic bactrim to work to cure chronic prostatitis and can it work for it even if the urine test didnt show any thing
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
It can take up to 6-8 weeks of antibiotics therapy with Bactrim (or any other antibiotic for that matter) to treat prostatitis even if the urine culture was negative. Prostatits is very hard to treat and this is why it requires such a long term of antibiotic therapy.Hope this helps and let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

If you are satisfied with this answer, please hit the green accept button so I can get credit for helping you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

can you take it longer than 8 weeks ive heard up two twelve weeks is that true also do most prostatitis patient have a clear urine when diagnosed and proscricbed antibiotics and is it possible when it goes away that it doesnt come back and is exercise like liftin weight and that stuff good for it

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Yes it can take 2-3 motnhs to clear up bacterial prostatitis. However, if there is no bacteria, then the antibiotics are likely not going to help. Prostatits can come back even after it is successfully treated and this is why it is such a problem for men. Exercise and weight lifting will not help or harm the disease process so you can continue this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
could it still be a bactira infection even if the urine was clear
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Yes it can. To rule out bacterial prostatits, your urologist needs to do a prostate massage and collect that urine sample after the massage to rule out the presence of bacteria.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ya he did that and it still was clear can it still be bacteria
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Then it is probably not bacterial prostatits. So antibiotic therapy is not likely going to work.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
Is there anything else I can help you with?