Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.

What are some other causes of a 9.7 PSA score besides prostate

Customer Question

What are some other causes of a 9.7 PSA score besides prostate cancer? It has been determined that I do not have an enlarged prostate.
Thank you
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.

An elevated PSA is due to either an enlarged prostate, prostate cancer, or elevation from taking supplements such as human growth hormone or testosterone. At a PSA of 9.7 you need to have your prostate biopsied to rule out prostate cancer, regardless of the size of your prostate.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions.

If you are satisfied with this answer, please hit the green accept button so that I can be compensated for my time. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have had a biopsy and am awaiting the results. Since I have not taken hormones and do not have an enlarged prostate does that mean that I have cancer? I am very anxious.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
At your age, there is probably a 20-30% chance that this PSA elevation is due to prostate cancer. Sometimes the cancer cannot be found on the first biopsy and you may need a repeat biopsy if your PSA continues to elevate over the next several months.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 6 years ago.
I did also forget to mention one other major cause of an elevated PSA, and this is an infection of the prostate called prostatitis. One option for you if your biopsy is negative is to place you on a 6 week course of antibiotics to see if this makes your PSA go down.