Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Many years of extensive work experience in all the fields of Medicine

I was told I have a staph infection in my urine. Is this different

Customer Question

I was told I have a staph infection in my urine. Is this different that a blood staph infection? Is it less serious?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.

What kind of test did you have? Do you have any symptoms?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had blood and urine tests done late Monday because I had a temperture of 102.5. I had surgery over 7 weeks ago and everything is healed fine. It was a double mastectomy, oopherectomy (sp? ovaries out) and Lyphmectomy Sentinel and a few others under arm. All proactive to BRCAII gene detection and bad family history. No cancer detected. Anyway, the urine culture came back with "slight staph" infection and we are still waiting on the blood culture. What's the difference and what is the course of treatment they will probably suggest?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

Most commonly urine infection is caused E. Coli, but staph infection can also involve urinary tract is small number of cases. Generally staph can live on the skin surface without causing any harm to individual. Whenever there is a breach in the skin, skin damage or certain surgical procedures, it gives an opportunity to enter body and cause infection. They can affect various body organ including urinary tract. Good news is that it can be treated effectively. I think your best course of action is to wait for blood culture and sensitivity report. If staph is detected in blood, then you will have to go for antibiotic course to get rid of infection.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One last thing. Can they treat me with oral antibiotics or is this something I would have to treat by IV if the infection is in the blood?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
First, blood culture will disclose the type of staph and sensitivity will tell which antibiotics are effective. If it's in the blood, then most likely you will need IV antibiotic to get rid of it.