DR JONES
DR JONES, MBBS MD
Experience:  MBBS MD.Experience of 10 years in diagnosing and handling all types of medical emergencies.
27521838

I have a itchy rash on both sides of my stomach near my waist.

Customer Question

I have a itchy rash on both sides of my stomach near my waist. It is just on the sides of my waist. The left side is in the shape of upside down tear drop. The right side is more of a circle pattern. It almost looks like bruises. It itchs off and on from mild to severe. I have had it for about 2 months.
Category: Urology
Expert:  DR JONES replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

Your symptoms in view of itchiness, circular skin lesions and presence of symptoms for two months are very well suggestive of ringworm thats fungal infection.

Many antifungal creams can clear the condition in around two weeks. Examples of such preparations include those that contain clotrimazole(Cruex cream, Desenex cream, Lotrimin cream, lotion, and solution), miconazole(Monistat-Derm cream), ketoconazole(Nizoral cream), econazole (Spectazole), naftifine (Naftin), and terbinafine (Lamisil cream and solution). Any one cream can be used.

Rarely systemic treatment may be needed with antifungal tablet like griseofulvin (Fulvicin, Grifulvin, and Gris-PEG).

Minimizing sweat and moisture can help prevent fungal infections.

Please ask if want me to explain anything.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They are large areas and its just on two sides of my stomach near my waist. Can ringworm be that big? I have seen ringworm before as I work with children and I thought that is a distintive ring pattern. This rash is more spread out and doesn't have a ring pattern.
Expert:  DR JONES replied 4 years ago.
Ringworm is commonest form skin fungal infection so considered first.However fungal infection spreading to larger areas are also known. Bruise kind of look is commonly seen with fungal infections. Usually the central portion of the lesion may show some resolution with active spread at edges. Again fungal infection are common in waist region. Chronicity with on and off itching is again a feature of fungal infection.

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.