Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist
Experience:  MBBS MS (Surgery) Vast experience and routinely perform all urology procedures including endoscopy.

Abdominal pain, severe nausea, vomiting bile, lower back left

Abdominal pain, severe nausea, vomiting bile, lower back left side severe pain. No fever at this time.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Since how long are your symptoms?

Do you have bloating, diarrhea/constipation?

Any significant past medical or surgical history?

What is the maximal pain site on the abdomen?

Any specific area of tenderness?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Symptoms since Saturday 4/3. Bloating--yes. Not constipated or no diarrhea. Abdomen does not hurt, but just drinking sips of anything starts bloating. Abdominal discomfor subsides after vomiting, but comes back in about an hour. Main pain is in lower left side of back with some tenderness radiating from back to around side.

Following would be the possible causes;

1) Gall stones or gall bladder disease; if not removed already

2) Peptic ulcer disease

3) Mild pancreatitis

A severe pain always warrant a medical examination and investigations like ultrasound and CT scan with liver function tests, pancreas function tests and endoscopy (camera exam). You can try antacids like Maalox or Tums with acid blocker Prilosec. Dramamine for vomiting can be taken. All of them are over the counter medications.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have had gall bladder removed about 7-8 years ago. It was interesting to me that you did not mention kidney stones since I thought that that was where most of the pain was. Not sure if the bloating is because of taking Excedrin which seems to give me about an hour of relief from syptoms. Pancreatitis is scarey to me....an ulcer, I could believe. Planning on seeing personal physician tomorrow (off today). Thanks for the list of OTC drugs, hadn't thought about dramamine or Prilosec.

You are most welcome.

Kidney stones do cause vomiting, but nausea and bilious vomiting is usually not common. A first time kidney stone in your age group is almost rare, so I did not mention it. Lower left back side pain is caused by ureter (tube which joins bladder and kidney) stone, but again they are rare cause in your age group, if there is no history of previous stones and they would usually have urinary symptoms and pain radiation to thigh and labia. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis can be the other possibility.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Urologist
Experience: MBBS MS (Surgery) Vast experience and routinely perform all urology procedures including endoscopy.