FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician, Family Physician
Experience:  Board-certified primary care physician with experience treating many different urology conditions.
1304720

What makes your pee yellow? Want it to be yellow to pass a drug test.

Customer Question

How can I make my urine yellow to pass a drug test?

Category: Urology
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 7 years ago.

The color of the urine is really irrelevant. The laboratory that does the testing measures the urine specific gravity and the urine creatinine. If they are below certain levels, the test is reported as 'Dilute'.
While a dilute test is not the same as a positive, many employers mandate repeat testing on any dilute tests.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** paper I signed says that one of the measuring guidelines is color, So I am concerned because I have been drinking about three litres of water a day. Will a multi vitamin or an energy drink work like the five hour drink that is loaded with B vitamins?

B vitamins will tend to make the urine appear more yellow in color. You are correct that color is one of the factors, but primarily as it relates to abnormal colors, from someone trying to slip something into the urine..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So do you recommend drinking an energy drink before I go tomorrow?

That would be entirely your decision, but I don't believe that your drinking or not drinking an energy drink will have any effect on your drug test result.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My system is clean. I just have been drinking so much water that I am concerned about getting eliminated because of the color. I am not trying to cover up drugs in any way. Only looking for color renewal. What do you think?

Most employers as I mentioned use specimen validity testing that is based on the urine creatinine concentration and the specific gravity. While a multivitamin (B vitamins) will tend to cause the urine to be more yellow in color, it may still get rejected because of these tests.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Will the creatinie and gravity be affected if my urine is diluted with water?

Yes, both will be low because of the excessive intake of water.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Will that cause me to fail?

While generally it is not treated as a "positive" or "failed" drug test, many employers do not accept a negative drug test that is dilute. They insist on a non-dilute negative specimen.
In other words, they require a retest.