Dr Patel
Dr Patel, Urologist
Experience:  12 years of experience in urology; advanced training in minimally invasive surgery and oncology

The tip of my penis stings when i urinate...also is a little

The tip of my penis stings when i urinate...also is a little pink/red at the tip its been like this for about 5 days. Whats the deal?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Patel replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you have prostatitis-This is inflammation of the prostate that is from bacteria. It is common to have urinary burning at the tip of the penis. It requires a 6 week course of certain antibiotics such as doxycycline and celebrex to help suppress the inflammation. The urine tests are often negative for bacteria because the bacteria are in the prostate, not the urine.

Best of luck,

Dr Patel

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
6 weeks? I don't know if I can takae this for 6 weeks is there a faster course of action? Are the antibiotics you listed above over the counter? or do I need a perscription for them?
Expert:  Dr Patel replied 6 years ago.

The antibiotics will help immediately but are given for 6 weeks to eradicate bacteria in the prostate. They require a prescription.