Dr Patel
Dr Patel, Urologist
Experience:  12 years of experience in urology; advanced training in minimally invasive surgery and oncology
8737286

Is it alright to shower with a Foley catheter in following

Is it alright to shower with a Foley catheter in following surgery? Any special precautions I should take?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Patel replied 4 years ago.

Yes you can shower with a foley in place. No special precautions-do not take a tub bath but showers are okay. You can clean the tubing with soap and water but be careful not to tug on the tubing too much or it will hurt.

Best of luck,
Dr Patel

Dr Patel, Urologist
Experience: 12 years of experience in urology; advanced training in minimally invasive surgery and oncology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr Patel

Do you have any advice on easy, painfree removal of the Foley catheter? Thanks

Expert:  Dr Patel replied 4 years ago.

The only way to remove a catheter is to deflate the balloon completely and then apply a slow steady pull until the catheter is removed. It sometimes helps to take valium prior to removal and to not strain or tighten up as it is removed.

Best of luck.

Dr Patel, Urologist