Urologist,M.D., Urologist
Experience:  Board Certified in Urology, Fellowship trained

My mother is 80 years old, a diabetic and also has a heart

My mother is 80 years old, a diabetic and also has a heart condition. She now has had a prolapse within the last six months. She has to void frequently and wears depends to control it. She has had a urinary tract infection for four months with treatments of ciprofloxicin-250, 2 times a day , sulfamethoxazole 2 times a day, trimethoprim one at bedtime, levaquin 250, one time a day. She has had elmiron for 3 weeks, 2 times a day. .Nothing has worked.What do you suggest?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Urologist,M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Most likely her prolapse is playing a role in her not being able to urinate all the way, and therefore causing her urinary tract infections. I recommend she consult with her urologist about this and get something called a pessary placed to help with all of these symptoms. It is a nonsurgical way to lift the bladder.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has used a pessary in the past , but it did not work.
If the pessary does not work, then she needs medications to help her stop urinating all the time as well as probably antibiotics on a nightly basis to prevent infections. If healthy enough, surgery on her bladder may help as well.