Urologist,M.D.
Urologist,M.D., Urologist
Experience:  Board Certified in Urology, Fellowship trained
19896974

Is clots in urine a long term side effect of Turp even years

Customer Question

Is clots in urine a long term side effect of Turp even years after surgery (had turp 10 years ago)

3 years ago i was urinating blood one weekend, i went to uro's office that Monday and he cystoscoped me but there was to much blood in bladder/ so I returned a month later and he recystoscped me again. He said the inside looks fine and he said that at times blood or clots in urine may be a long term effect of Turp. Also I notice at times the day of or the next day after sex I may pass a clot or two
Category: Urology
Expert:  Urologist,M.D. replied 7 years ago.
Ten years after a turp, you should not be bleeding from it. It is going to be from another cause including prostate bleeding. However, turps will only cause bleeding for up to a few months after the procedure. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't Accept this answer
another uro and my urologist too says that years can go by after an invasive procedure as TURP and still get bleeding
You don't have to accept, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that 10 years after the procedure you will not bleed from your turp. However, as I mentioned before you could still definitely bleed from your prostate where the surgery occurred, but they are 2 different things. Good luck.