Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  Authored over 25 Book Chapters and Articles, Specializes in male and female voiding issues

Can women pull their own ureteral stents out without any complications

Can women pull their own ureteral stents out without any complications? When ever my docs did it, I was always lying down, so it seems like it would be awkward. I'm so done with this thing! I have cystinuria and had this stent placed Aug 19th after an ESWL. It's been killing me the entire time (it hurts to walk). I'm no longer passing fragments, so I think I'm good. My doc wants be to wait until Sept 21st, and he doesn't have any appointments until then.
You could if he left a string attached to the stent. Otherwise it would be impossible because the curl of the stent is inside your bladder. Tell them you are miserable with it and you can't wait- they will live your appointment up. Good luck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My doc knows about my discomfort and had me get an x-ray to check for stent placement, which was fine. He's adamant on me obtaining a new ct-scan prior to removal, but none of my urologists in the past had me get one prior to the removal.

This guy is a Stanford doc who has a very busy schedule and has been speaking to me by phone since the pain got really bad. I'll call back on Monday again, to see if I can get it out ASAP. Meanwhile, I'm on detrol and pyridium but it's not dealing with the stabbing sensation I feel while sitting, or the burning sensation I feel when walking.

But, if I decide to take it out on my own, which position would be the best for removing it, or does it not matter? My stents tend to get encrusted with cystine crystals, so I'm guessing it will be a bit stiffer than a fresh one. Thanks.
You won't be able to reach into your urethra and bladder and grab the stent out. He probably wants a Ct to make sure there are no fragments of stones left that will require further treatment.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I realize that - the string is out and taped to my upper thigh. This is my 7th or 8th stent...while most were left in without the string, my new doc left the string attached.
Yes, you could pull it out if the string is still attached-I would do it with your doctors permission- lying down with your legs frog legged.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay - I will discuss with him first.