Dr. R
Dr. R, Board Certified Urologist
Experience:  Authored over 25 Book Chapters and Articles, Specializes in male and female voiding issues

My husband was diagnosed today with a firm prostate. He needs

Customer Question

My husband was diagnosed today with a firm prostate. He needs to have a biopsy done. Insertion through penis and rectum. What causes the prostate to become firm. He was told at his last check up he was fine a year ago. Previously the doctor though it was semi firm but 6 months later said it was fine. My husband started drinking in June after being sober for 13 years and he has been with a prostitue receiving lots of oral sex and intercourse. along with drinking he is taking an antidepressant and blod pressure medicine. Could any of these extra curricular and/or medical no no's contributed to his turn around in less than one year. What does a firm prostate mean or indicative of? Why the biopsy? Can it be reversed nonsurgically?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. R replied 7 years ago.
Firmness may be normal enlargement as we age, may be inflammatory, could be a cancer. Drinking would not cause it. STDs could cause infections in the prostate. Getting a blood test called a psa and seeing a urologist for a biopsy would be appropriate. I would not worry a lot because it is more likely to be inflammatory then cancer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Inflammatory from a pssible STD or the excessive oral sex or aging or a combination?
Expert:  Dr. R replied 7 years ago.
Could be from aging, inflammation, possibly from a STD but less likely. Likely not from excess sex.