Dr Patel
Dr Patel, Urologist
Experience:  12 years of experience in urology; advanced training in minimally invasive surgery and oncology

Does Penis sensory nerve damage heal it self or does it require

Customer Question

Does Penis sensory nerve damage heal it self or does it require Surgery

I have been masturbating a lot lately and recently I have lost Sensation around my penis and have a tingling sensation from my penis for the last 5 Days. In addition no stimulation to thought or touch, Just Limp. I can get an erection with much effort but it quickly goes back down. Do you think I have nerve Damage and if so will is heal itself or do I need surgery? I am going to see an Urologist soon but want to know what this could be. I am 43 and health, no medical condition, not over weight and in fact exercise 5 days a week. Thoughts?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Patel replied 5 years ago.

Hello there,

It is unlikely that masturbating has caused difficulty with sensation or trouble with erections.

When patients present with this issue, we like to do several things. We like to get blood work (rule out diabetes), second we perform a physical exam, and lastly we get imaging studies. Imaging studies include an MRI of the spine to rule out any herniated disc or bulging disc cause a nerve problem.

We also perform a nerve conduction study via skin electrodes placed on the penis (no pain)-this can check for any sensation issues.

At the same time, an ultrasound evaluation of the blood flow to the penis can be checked. This can help evaluate for any trouble with erections. They can then recommend therapy based on your nerve and ultrasound studies.

Best of luck,

Dr Patel

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your answer

I was at the Hospital, Blood sugar level are fine and I am certain I do not have a Herniated Disc. Blood presure is fine as well.

Do you think Surgey is needed and what are the chases of repair. I have been fine up until now.

Expert:  Dr Patel replied 5 years ago.

Hello there,

The cause of why you have trouble with sensation is still unknown-typically there are few reasons to operate for such a cause, so I do not think you need surgery but you need further evaluation with testing.

It is unusual to have this situation in the absence of neurologic disease, diabetes, or a herniated disc- so I would see your physician soon for further evaluation.

Best of luck,

DR Patel

Dr Patel, Urologist
Experience: 12 years of experience in urology; advanced training in minimally invasive surgery and oncology
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could you share what the typical resons to operate for such a sensation issue. I can no longer get an errection by though ot touch and feel no real pain outside of the tingling.

MY Urine came back fine, blood pressure perfect, blood sugar levels fine. No Back problems, I am in good shape, not over weight. I exercise and outside of a stressful job no other reasons that I can think of.

I get that the Urologist will peforme the
1) nerve conduction study via skin electrodes
2) ultrasound evaluation of the blood flow to the penis

What I am trying to figure out is do I need to be worried about permanent impotency ?

What type of treatments for the problems I have and would I have had other signs of problems prior to this ? I am Still young and Healthy ?

Just trying to understand. It will be a few more days before I can have a doctors appointment with the Urgolist and I am worried about how bad this could be.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ANy Updates on my last Question
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This last Question was not answered.

(Online) -- 1 Accept / 1 Question
Expert:  Dr Patel replied 5 years ago.

Hello there,

Erectile dysfunction is something that generally happens progressively over time- not instantaneously over a few days or even weeks- If something has happened in such a short time, we think of something neurologic (spinal cord -herniated disc requiring some form of therapy and possibly surgery or psychosomatic- meaning something of no organic cause.

If it is psychosomatic, then a sex therapist would be the most helpful. In this case it is unlikely you would have permanent impotency.

There are no procedures we can perform as urologists to fix a neurologic issue

Best of luck,

Dr Patel

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
To be clear , The Reason I think it is Nerve sensativity issue is typical by though or touch you can easily get an errection. I can get a full errection after a few minitues of touch but typical it would be faster and it goes back to a schrunk state quickly. In addition my Penis is in a normal shrunk state and feels unusal that it would be in this normal state all the time. I do get erections during sleep which is typical for me and I would think most men.

So it is not that I am completly Erectionless ( if that is a word) but something has changed with me. The Only thing I can Think of that might be adding to what you call psychosomatic is I have recently been having marriage problems and it has been stressful. However no other problems with me physcialy and I am use to dealing with a stressful Job. Do you think this could be subconsciencely causing my issue ?

I do not have any other physcial signs of stress etc ? Thoughts on this ?
Expert:  Dr Patel replied 5 years ago.

Now your situation makes more sense- so you are able to get erections; Stress can definitely play a role in this case. There are some physical/emotional signs of stress (fatigue, loss of concentration, etc) but these are not always manifest. Moreover, you are admitting to stressful problems so clearly this has some impact on your life.

Dr Patel

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I have had stress before but never something so profound like this.

So if the Stress goes away the problem goes away ? This would not be permanent ?

IF I have the two test you sugest with there be physcial problems notices based on psychosomatic impotancy?

What is the treatment for this ?
Expert:  Dr Patel replied 5 years ago.

So long as there is no organic cause (blood flow problem from aging, etc) then it should resolve and it would not be permanent

Since you are having erections you dont need to have tests done to evaluate for sensation or blood flow;

It makes more sense to treat your stress and see how things improve- the best person to talk about stress with would be your primary care physician to see if they can offer you counseling, stress reduction programs and suggestions to lower your stress level

Dr Patel