FamilyPhysician
FamilyPhysician, Family Physician
Experience:  Board-certified primary care physician with experience treating many different urology conditions.
1304720

I noticed several tiny black specs in my urine this afternoon.

I noticed several tiny black specs in my urine this afternoon. I have a history of kidney stones, but have never seen anything like this before. What is this? Also, I should note that I fished one of these out of the toilet and to see if it was hard, but it actually smashed into red. Is this old blood? If so, why would this suddenly start happening. I should also note that i have had intermittent pain in the lower right hand side of my abdomen and in my lower back for several weeks now. Since i have a history of kidney stones, i don't always go right to the doctor as i know i really just need to drink lots of fluids and stay active during those stints, but i did go into the ER about 2 wks ago and they say i only have 1 stone in my left kidney, not in the ureter. The pain, however, is only located on my right side.
Category: Urology
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 5 years ago.
How long have you been having these tiny specks in your urine?

Have you been having pain during this time?

Any fever? Any buring when you urinate?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Today was the first day i have noticed these specks.

I do have some pain right now... in my right side. I'd say a 5-6 on the pain scale.

I have run a low grade temperature off and on over the last couple of months... between 99.0 and 100.4. This is off and on, never constant over days on end. I don't have a way to take my temperature right now as I am still at work. Haven't been feeling very well at all today.

There is no burning when i urinate.
These small specks could be small stones or more likely small blood clots (which can be caused by the microtrauma to the ureters from the stones).

The fact that you also have a mild temperature raises the possibility of an infection (more common when you have stones)

I would suggest seeing your doctor to have a urine specimen checked. You may need an antibiotic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your response... i just have one more thing... the fact that i went to the ER 2 wks ago with this pain in my side and they did a CT Scan which came back showing a stone in my left kidney and everything else clear... is it really possible that the pain in my right side could still be a stone? They said there was nothing they could see on the right side. I'm a little anxious about this. If i had stones in my right kidney or ureter, wouldn't they be able to see them with the CT scan? I'm just confused because all the pain i have is on my right side and nothing seemed to be there 2 wks ago and now these specks are there... i have had them every time i've urinated this afternoon. My urine doesn't even look bad, just has these black specks in it.   I will still go in to the doctor, as you have advised, but would appreciate any other insight you may have given the results from my ER visit.
The stones may have been missed on the right side (it can be a VERY small and still cause significant pain), or you may have developed another stone after the CT scan.
FamilyPhysician, Family Physician
Experience: Board-certified primary care physician with experience treating many different urology conditions.