Dr Patel
Dr Patel, Urologist
Experience:  12 years of experience in urology; advanced training in minimally invasive surgery and oncology

I have burning after I urinate .No infection in urinalysis.

I have burning after I urinate .No infection in urinalysis. Do not have to urniate more than normal.Have had for 3 mo. Have taken Visacare and improvement..Am 68..Use vagifeme 2xs a week for dryness. Been dilated twice.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Patel replied 7 years ago.

Hello there,

With persistent burning on urination we commonly send off a urine culture but also recommend looking into your bladder with a telescope (cystoscopy) to ensure there are no abnormalities on the inside. We also send a cytology from the urine looking for any abnormal cells. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is we want to make sure we are not missing a bladder cancer (especially with any history of smoking in the past).

You should also have a pelvic exam so they can look for any anatomical abnormalities such as prolapse of pelvic organs or to see if your bladder has dropped down (cystocele). These are also common causes of urinary complaints.

A urologist would be able to do both of these things for you.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Dr Patel