Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

I need to know what are the legal requirements for a

Customer Question

I need to know what are the legal requirements for a Electric Skateboard
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: UK Hereford United kingdom
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just enquiring about the Electric Skateboard in hereford uk
Category: UK Traffic Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to know if you need insurace for accidents and damage I have a drivers license
will that cover me for a Electric Skateboard I will be buying it in 10 to 14 days
Expert:  Stuart J replied 7 months ago.

These would be treated partly the same as an electric bicycle. however, there are problems for you.

I am fully aware of the regulations surrounding electrical bicycles because my best friend happens to be a main supplier of them

There are no rules that cover skateboards and if you are being prosecuted, the prosecutor would rely on a mix of the rules with regard to how would wheelchairs and mobility scooters and electric bicycles.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

and

https://www.gov.uk/rules-powered-wheelchairs-mobility-scooters-36-46

A powered wheelchair has an upper speed limit of 4 mph, which is a fast walk and are only designed to the pavement

Mobility scooters have an upper speed limit of 8 mph and can be used on the road and pavement.

I imagine that your powered skateboard has a higher limit than that. There are certain requirements with regard to makers nameplates and power outputs etc.

The fact that magistrates may have dismissed other cases simply means that the prosecutors have not convinced that there was an offence,

There is no way that if this is capable of doing more than 4 mph, you can legally ride it on the pavement, and if there are no pedals, it needs to be taxed, MOT, and insured to use it on the road.

Does that answer the question? Can I answer any specific points arising from this?

Please do not forget to rate my answer service positively. You don’t read it positively, then I don’t get any payment/credit for my time here today.

You may think the thread closes after rating, but it does not, it remains open and we can still exchange emails if anything needs clarification.

Kind regards

Stuart.