Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.

I got pulled over yesterday for taking an island too fast.

Customer Question

I got pulled over yesterday for taking an island too fast. When I spoke to the officer he said I might get a summons in the post depending on how he feels at the end of the night?? All I gave him was my address & name at no point did he see any ID. Was he just giving me a warning or do you think this will go further?? Thanks
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: UK Traffic Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

how long ago did this happen please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yesterday night.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Sorry for the delay.

I'm not sure if I can answer your question. Obviously I will have no way of knowing what the intentions of this officer might be.

Are you asking if he could act?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He said that what I'd done was dangerous driving & gave me a caution at the side of the road. There was me & another car so the officer accused us of racing. If it where to go to court what sort of punishment could I be looking at? Towards the end of the conversation he'd calmed down a lot after being quite angery when pulling me over. He also said that my reg had been taken & if I was seen speeding again I have the book thrown at me. So I supposed I'm just worried that this could end up in prison? I've never been pulled over before & this is my first & hopefully last encounter with the police.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

What was the length of the 'race'?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not far about 1/4 mile but I slowed right down just before he pulled us over as I realised I was being a bit of a fool. The officer did acknowledge that I slowed down.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

That could amount to dangerous driving.

But you wouldn't normally go to prison for this type of dangerous driving.

Unless it was accompanied with some other instance of dangerous driving like mounting a pavement or going on the wrong side of the road etc.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That's it I suppose just wanted a professional opinion on the matter of a custodial sentence. At no point did I mount the pavement or come close to hitting something & ive never been in trouble before so I suppose I'll just have to wait & see. Hopefully he just left it as a good telling off fingers crossed. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Yes, it might well.

Not all officers make reports of traffic offences.

After all, most of them are having their time wasted investigating fantasy that we euphemistically call historical sexual abuse.